Wednesday, June 27, 2007

How much school does it take?

We had a question come into the station about whether or not a master's degree was needed to become a meteorologist. Depending on who you ask, you may get very different answers. Professors will tend to push you toward a master's because of their passion for higher education. The decision to work on a higher degree is really a personal one. When it comes to research meteorology, a master's degree is almost essential. As for the National Weather Service, they are starting to prefer master's degrees as well. So many meteorology students get out of college with the same exact background: a B.S. degree with a minor in math or physics. A master's degree can help to set you apart from the rest. As for broadcast meteorology, a bachelor's degree in meteorology is adequate. Keep in mind, though, that no matter how much schooling you have, landing a broadcasting job comes down to how well you do on your audition tape. I, myself, am dealing with the same dilema of going for a master's or not -- and it's a decision I'll have to make pretty soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Ava;

I'm glad you are considering a master's degree and want to encourage you to go to graduate school. You are obviously young, still in education mode, and seem very interested in meteorology. These are all good reasons why you should pursue this degree now. Completion will only take a couple of years and later in your life you will look back and be happy that you finished. Graduate school is a fulfilling endeavor and will also be personally rewarding and self-satisfying. Even if you change careers later in life, a master's degree will still be a great help to you because, as you already know, this degree can give you more options at any time in your life. Also, when you finish your master's, a doctorate will then be within easy reach!

I am also interested in a master's degree and have finished 25% of mine. The primary reason I decided to go to grad school is simply to prove to myself that I can do it! I had to postpone my pursuit temporarily due to family health problems as well as a very demanding job and commute. However, this situation will not last forever and I will go back and finish graduate school in the near-future. You see, I am following my own advice!

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments so far, Dr. Ava! This internship is great experience and I am sure you are enjoying it. You go girl!

Sincerely, Loren